Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Final Post

The artwork I’ve created is an attempt at modernizing the work of Paolo Veronese. When thinking of what to create, I followed his less manneristic approach using bright, vivid colors, which he later used throughout his career. I also deemed it as appropriate to incorporate a social trend that occurs within the 21st century. The Protestant Reformation and Inquisition were social trends which inspired Veronese’s artwork. Both of these historical events influenced a movement from heresy within the Roman Catholic church. Although Veronese was Catholic, his most famous piece which reflects the Protestant Reformation was his rendition of the Last Supper. This less than biblical depiction became banned from the church because of his incorporation of German soldiers, drunks, cats and a minimal focus on Christ. Imagining Veronese in the 21st century, I used bright paint colors to paint a church characterized by the gay flag. I also created a modern rendition of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden which depicts two men as the first couple on earth. Both of my artworks depict a modern rendition of how society has testified the classical beliefs of the bible. As seen by Veronese’s rebellious reputation, I feel these are an accurate postmodern attempt at depicting this. For the painting of the church, I chose to use paint as my medium because that was Veronese’s most used technique. The work’s focal point is the church surrounded by a background of blue. The connotative or implied meaning of the piece communicates a modernistic approach at religion. It is implied by the gay flag that I am either promoting or mocking the views of today’s church. For my Adam and Eve rendition, I chose both paint and the use of collage and Photoshop as my medium. I felt this was successful in attempting Veronese’s less focused approach on the religious aspect of the image and diluting it with color. Both “Adam’s” are the focal point, however, they are less centralized in the image and made smaller than their surroundings, just as Christ was created small in Veronese’s “Feast in the House of Eli.” The connotative meaning of the piece communicates a biblical piece whereas after a closer look, the denotative meaning becomes clear that this could also be a mockery of religion and modern times.



Reflecting on this past semester, I’m grateful for the respect I’ve acquired for art in general. It was interesting to learn the makeup of a visual analysis and all the little pieces that go into a work of art. Starting with the BMA, simply choosing a piece that stands out to me, I’ve self-taught myself on Paolo Veronese, the Renaissance and was taught about many different artists and styles from my classmates. Walking away from this class, I can say that I will now look closer at any given piece of art. Whether it be detecting if it’s a rule of thirds, or just being able to identify its color scheme, I now feel I’m capable to pick the brain of an artist and attempt to define their thought process. The only opportunity I see for this class to be better would be providing a more in-depth Photoshop tutorial for students such as I that have no background in it. This was the only difficulty I had when it came to the advertisement project which required skill in Photoshop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment